I am officially finished with this little project. (You can see how the project progressed here, here, here, here, here, here, and here). I'm pretty sure this is the longest it's ever taken me to complete a quilt. I bought the fabric back in May, came up with the idea for the pattern in September and got to work on September 19, a little over a month ago. This project has been haunting me and I'm so glad it's finished!
This is the largest quilt I've made to date and the first time I didn't use free motion quilting. Yikes...all of those straight lines got pretty tedious. It got to the point where I made myself quilt it in one hour blocks so that I would at least get something accomplished. And to top that off, I decided to go with the not so speedy machine stitched/hand stitched binding method seen here. The hand stitching took forever and wasn't quite as fun as embroidery, but I got the hang of it after a while and now it seems a bit more manageable.
I was so happy to throw the quilt in the washer and dryer and see it come out in all its crinkly, wrinkled goodness.
Here are the final details if you're interested in making one of these for yourself:
Final quilt size:
64” x 88”
8 blocks x 11 blocks = total 88 blocks
8” x 8”
For each block you will need the following pieces:
Final Size Cutting Size (w/ 1/4" seam allowance)
1: 5” x 5” 5.5 x 5.5
2: 5” x 1.5” 5.5 x 2
3: 1.5” x 6.5” 2 x 7
4: 6.5” x 1.5” 7 x 2
5: 1.5” x 8” 2 x 8.5
Fabric needed for front:
18 fat quarters
5 sets of fabric from each fq = 90 sets from fq (you will have two squares extra)
1.75 yards for solid color (I used white) center squares